Friday 17 October 2014

Post 11: My Hardest Day as a Teacher

I was supposed to sub in a grade 8 class from 9-2 today.  At 7:40 this morning I received a call to come in earlier to fill in for a different teacher in the morning.  They needed me in as soon as possible.

I had to sub in a Senior Kindergarten (SK) class for the morning.  And it was the hardest teaching experience of my life.

Not because I'm more middle school and high school oriented.  But because about twenty minutes before the school called me, I received another call.

This call was telling me that my Opa had passed away in his sleep.

I have never had someone close to me die before.  When a novel describes a character feeling as though they have been punched in the stomach... well, I understand that feeling now.

One of the reasons I was excited to move to Ontario after getting married was because I knew I would be closer to all of my extended family.  Labor Day weekend my husband and I got to go and have coffee with my Oma and Opa during an afternoon.  I loved knowing they were near.  Some of my favourite pictures from my wedding are of my Opa and I.



So right now I hurt.  And my family hurts.  I'm afraid this post won't contain any great tales or spiritual reflections.  Really it is just a request that you would keep my family in your prayers.  We are all congregating together this weekend and your thoughts would be more than appreciated.

Good-bye, Opa.  I'm so glad I got to have coffee with you before you left.  I'm so thrilled you got to make it to my wedding.  You will be so greatly missed.  I love you.

3 comments:

  1. Carla Friesen-Martin17 October 2014 at 19:28

    Holding you close in prayer. So glad you had that visit with your Opacity and Omar.Praying that the memories you hold close in your heart, the love of family and friends, and the hope of seeing your Opacity again sustain you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently spell check doesn't recognize the word "Opa" and I couldn't find edit mode after posting. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Carla. The prayers were greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete